Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Flashburn

I am not really sure how to start this story, as the brain does not remember things in chronological order. Bear with me...

So my brain starts with a van turned upside down, and the sound of someone calling for help. It then flashes to glass on the road and seeing the incongruous form of a CD shining in the sun, laying brilliantly on pavement and the random thought that I wonder if I should pick it up...
I see a man in a black and white shirt covered in palm trees, saying that he didn't hit anyone. And I see a young black girl, aged maybe 16-19 years old, sitting on a curb while a stranger sacrifices something white to try and stop the bleeding. I hear the sound of metal and glass as a metallic-colored minivan rolls more than twice, beginning to the right and in front of me and ending on the right and behind me while I stand helplessly on a street corner not fifteen feet away. I remember what it feels like to fear what you will see inside that van, and whether or not you can do anything about the voice that screams for help.

I remember that there was no sound for a moment, and then suddenly there was music from the upturned vehicle. And a young man in a mechanic's jumpsuit slid into the cab to shut the van off. It had been running, and I couldn't even hear it. I was struck deaf for a moment by the sound of a voice calling for help.

I remember looking at the vehicle, now upside down and facing back the way it had come, and thinking about centrifugal force, the feeling draining from my fingerstips as I remembered the odd tendency of cylindrical objects to roll in a circle, upon which I wondered if I would have made it inside that circle, or if I would have been in its path...

No comments: